The first thing people think of when they hear of an engagement ring is a bride. Ever since my childhood, I have only seen engagement rings being given to women, whether on TV or in real life. Besides, only men pop the question. Well, the perspective on marriage and engagement rings is changing.
Men have started wearing engagement rings, and those that don’t admit they would like to wear one. The popularity of engagement rings among men is growing every day. So, what is the history of engagement rings? Why do men choose to wear engagement rings? This article will answer these questions and many more.
What Is The History Of Engagement Rings?
An engagement ring shows that you are committed to being married to someone. It’s very common, especially among people with western culture in the United States. Currently, most men give their women engagement rings to represent a special day to come. However, not many people know that there is a history to this tradition.
The Egyptians were the first known people to use engagement rings. According to them, placing a round band around one’s fingers shows eternal commitment. Additionally, there was a common tradition that a man had to pay dowry in exchange for a woman’s hand in marriage.
This tradition stopped after Romans started giving engagement rings instead of expensive gifts. This marked a new era as it showed that a man did not own a woman; she was just taken.
Just before the 19th century began, diamonds were discovered in South Africa, and for marketing, they were used as engagement rings. This is how diamond engagement rings grew in popularity. However, after World War 1, the popularity of diamond engagement rings declined. As for men’s engagement rings, the jewelry industry started making them in the 21st century.
Do Men Wear Engagement Rings?
Times have changed, and the engagement ring is seen as a symbol of love and commitment towards a spouse. It is also a physical representation of the emotional connection between two human beings. Engagement rings are symbols of love as opposed to the past, where they were viewed as ownership of a woman.
Today, these rings represent a free choice because a woman can choose to say yes or no when the engagement ring is presented to them. Currently, men also choose to wear these rings based on what they believe it represents. But there is no specific number of how many men wear engagement rings today because the practice is still developing.
Gender roles are not as concrete as they used to be. Women and men can do what they want to do. For example, a woman can go down on one knee and ask a man to be her husband. Also, same-sex couples are choosing to get married and live happily ever after. In these situations, engagement rings still serve the same purpose whether a man or woman is being presented to a ring.
Why Do Men Not Wear Engagement Rings?
There is no specific reason as to why men did not wear engagement rings back in the day. However, some roots show how the engagement ring became famous among women. In the 20th century, DeBeers launched an ad campaign that marked history. Its campaign had the slogan “A diamond is forever,” which was advertised for men who wanted to propose.
Still, there was a law that allowed women to sue men if they broke off an engagement around the same time. In 1930, states decided to stop this law, forcing women to choose other alternatives that ensured they were safe, which furthered the popularity that engagement rings are for women. Remember that this was a very sexist period, and women had to be virgins before getting married.
However, after an engagement, couples started having sex, and if the man broke off the engagement, it would be hard for women to get engaged again. The engagement ring protected the women from such situations.
Why Do Some Men Choose To Wear Engagement Rings?
If you are a man that wants to wear an engagement ring or a woman that wants to give your partner one, it is essential to know why men choose to wear them. Some of the reasons why men wear engagement rings include;
- Fashion – As simple as it is, some men want to wear unique jewelry. Currently, the market for men’s rings is growing more and more every day. You can choose to wear a precious metal or gemstone ring to show off your styles.
- Love and commitment – Some couples view engagement rings as a symbol of love and commitment. This means that a woman should not be the only one wearing the engagement ring. Men should also let the world know that they are no longer ‘available’ and that they are taken.
- Altering tradition – It is vital for some people to do away with traditions and have their own set of rules. They believe that if marriage is a commitment from each partner, they should each wear an engagement ring.
- Equality – Some couples love the idea that they are equal in their relationship. You will even find that such couples choose to bend down on one knee for each other on different occasions. Hence, it is not a surprise when you find such partners each wearing an engagement ring.
- Shows a unique bond – You will not find many couples where each partner has an engagement ring. It’s unique, and some couples feel that they should show their connection by offering each other a unique piece of jewelry. It also shows an eternal and unbreakable bond between two people.
- Symbolism – Even though giving a man an engagement ring does not go together with tradition, it still has its meaning. People choose to give each other engagement rings to represent all the work and commitment they have given to each other. It also represents a promise of love and commitment for the future.
What Type Of Engagement Ring Should A Man Wear?
Most of the time, the closest men get to an engagement ring is a nice watch. However, many people want to give their men an actual engagement ring. But, which ring is best for them? There are so many unique types of jewelry in the market. Keep in mind that an engagement ring should not be the same as a wedding ring. It should be simple but also timeless.
There are many factors you should consider when getting your man an engagement ring. What is his line of work? What are his favorite hobbies? Is he a white-collar professional or a sporty guy?
Does he like to go fishing or playing baseball on the weekends? One of the most popular rings for men includes silver-colored metal rings such as tungsten platinum, tantalum, or white gold. Men can also wear yellow gold. Here are some of the perfect engagement rings to choose for your man;
- A Ring With Many Stones – These rings have added features such as a small line of gemstones of diamonds with a wide band of gold on each side.
- A Ring With One Stone – Although popular among women, a ring with a single stone can also be given to a man. The difference between the women’s and means the single stone ring is the shape. Men’s rings are sturdier in shape, and you can choose your precious stone to be either diamonds or other gemstones.
- A Classic Ring – If your man is sophisticated and does not want a lot of fuss in his jewelry, this is the perfect ring for him. A classic ring is a mono-color ring where you get to choose a metal of your choice; palladium rose gold, platinum, or white gold.
- A Signet Ring – It represents class and is associated with wealth. These rings have letters, symbols, or words that have a message for the wearer.
Tips on How To Choose An Engagement Ring For Your Man
If you have decided that you will give your man an engagement ring, you need to keep a few things in mind before going shopping. They include;
The Size Of Your Pocket
Men’s engagement rings can be pretty pricey. The cost depends on the ring material, type of design, or other added features such as gemstones or diamonds.
Rings can range between a few hundred to a few thousand. You need to determine the kind of money you are willing to spend before going shopping to avoid any shocks and surprises.
His Taste and Lifestyle
There are so many factors to consider when choosing your man’s engagement ring.
Is he into sports or more of a sit-at-home and binge watch Netflix kind of guy? Does he enjoy going fishing, or is he more of a Broadway fan on weekends? Does he like maintaining his things every once in a while, or does he just not care about maintenance?
Answering these questions will help you figure out if he wants a simple traditional ring, a flashy ring, or something sleek in platinum.
His Line Of Work
If your partner used his hands to get his income, such as a carpenter or a repairman, it is safe to choose a simple ring with no raised stones. On the other hand, you may prefer a ring made out of durable metals, so it is important to discuss preferences before purchasing any ring.
Choose A Ring That Shows Your Love And Commitment
The engagement ring you choose should best symbolize your love towards your partner. There are different ways to do this including, engraving some words or a particular date on the ring or design a custom ring.
Whichever method you choose to capture your love for your partner in an engagement ring, ensure that you consider all the factors mentioned earlier.
The Final Word
The only permanent thing in this world is change. Traditions are no longer viewed in the same way. The attitude towards marriage and engagement rings has evolved. If you chose to give your man an engagement ring, go ahead. An engagement ring should represent love, commitment, and support.